Each day, we make food choices that contribute or detract from the health of our teeth and body. Within these choices is the power to get in excellent physical shape or to vastly improve your smile. But do you know which foods will have such an effect on your oral health? Discover the foods that are proven to be excellent for your teeth and see how they help your smile – then explore ways to incorporate these foods into your diet this summer.
How Can Some Foods Be Good for Your Teeth?
Just as foods like candy and pastries are notoriously bad for your oral health, there are foods that provide benefits for your smile as well. Here are some of the common ways these foods can help your teeth:
– Some are fibrous so simply biting into them is like scrubbing your teeth of food particles and debris. These foods include apples, carrots, and celery.
– Certain foods have a secret ingredient that is unexpectedly good for the teeth. For example, coffee helps the teeth with polyphenols while strawberries have malic acid which is a natural tooth whitener.
– Some foods contain so many nutrients that are great for the teeth, that they’re considered dental superfoods. Among these dental superfoods are cheese, seafood, milk, and almonds.
Getting the Most from Your Dental Superfoods
Knowing which foods are great for your teeth isn’t enough – we have to work them into our diets to get the oral health benefits. Check out our tips for including dental superfoods into your meal plan.
Dental Superfood: Cheese – The harder and more aged, the better
Cheese is excellent for your teeth for a variety of reasons. From a high amount of calcium to the fact that it lowers acidity in your mouth, cheese is an undeniable dental superfood. Plus, the chewing action required for harder cheeses will increase your production of saliva, which is great for your teeth. The only thing you have to do to reap these benefits is eat it – here are some suggestions for making hard cheeses a regular part of your diet.
- Slice up some fresh cheese with your favorite crackers
- Cut up some hard cheddar cheese to put on your salad
- Make a dental superfood snack plate with almonds, apples, and sliced cheddar
- Try a recipe like Pickle Poppers, with fresh cheese, jalapenos, and dill pickles
- Use your favorite toast to make an open-faced sandwich with cheese and veggies
- Consider adding slices of aged cheddar as a side item to normal meals
Dental Superfood: Apples – Scrubs your teeth with each bite
Who knew that the quintessential American fruit is also a great choice for your smile? While the primary benefit of eating apples is that their texture scrubs debris and food particles off the teeth with every bite, apples are also rich in nutrients and have stain removing properties which brighten your teeth. Peruse some ideas for incorporating apples into your daily diet.
- Develop a habit of having a fresh apple every day with breakfast
- Add apple slices to your favorite salad or sandwich for texture and flavor
- Top breakfast dishes like french toast with sliced apples
- Include apples in a snack plate of fruits and cheeses
- Make Cinnamon Ginger Apples on a Stick
- Use extra sticks to make Harvest Salad on a Stick
Dental Superfood: Shiitake Mushrooms – Full of the plaque-slayer, lentinan
People seem to either love or hate mushrooms, but there’s no doubt that they have major benefits for your smile. There are numerous types, but shiitake mushrooms are versatile in cooking and they contain a secret ingredient that is excellent for your smile: lentinan. A substance only found in shiitake mushrooms, lentinan is known to prevent sugar from sticking to the teeth to form plaque. Here are some ideas of how to leverage this powerful ingredient in your favor.
- Make an omelet for breakfast and load it up with shiitake mushrooms.
- Cook up a healthy stir-fry for dinner and include shiitake mushrooms.
- Having chicken or steak for dinner? Top it with shiitake mushrooms!
- Try them in a new side dish: Roasted Corn and Shiitake Mushrooms.
- Love burgers and pizza? They’re perfect for adding shiitake mushrooms.
- Try cooking up a pot of Shiitake Mushroom Soup for the whole family.
Choosing Dental Superfoods Can Improve your Smile
Every day, we make choices that have an effect on our smile. These decisions include the foods we eat, beverages we consume, and more. By making dietary choices that are beneficial for your smile, you can fight dental problems before they even happen. And the best part is how you incorporate these dental superfoods is up to you – the more creative and fun, the better. If you’re ready for your next appointment with our team in Nashville, contact us today!